Care & Share’s Annual Appeal is underway. Your contribution, in any amount, is very important in helping us to meet the growing needs of our community.
Volunteers and contributors make it possible for Care & Share to provide support to families and individuals in our community. We are run entirely by volunteers, with no paid staff. With the time, money, ideas and talents generously shared by many members of our community, we are able to positively affect the lives of many.
Care & Share’s funding and other support comes entirely from our community, for example:
- A monetary donation or gift card from an individual
- Donated goods from a business
- A grant from a local institution to make possible a special program for client support
- Food baskets assembled and donated by local places of worship and organizations within our community
- Pantry items from members of a school class who’ve run a food drive
- School back packs donated, filled with school supplies
- A contribution from a civic organization that has run an event to benefit Care & Share
How You Can Help
We invite you to join us in meeting our community’s growing need for assistance.
Call us at 860-739-8502 and leave a message if you would like to speak to our Volunteer Coordinator about opportunities that may interest you, or could make use of your special talents.
If you would like to contribute, tax-deductible monetary donations, or grocery, gas, department store and other gift cards, they can be mailed to Care & Share, PO Box 114, East Lyme, CT 06333.
Food donations can be made at the Food Pantry at Care & Share Facility, 12 Roxbury Rd. Niantic, on the first and third Saturday of each month between 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM. Look for donation bins at local grocery stores, other community businesses, and town buildings, or call us at 860-739-8502 if you would like to make other arrangements for delivering food to the pantry.
Any and all help contributes directly to making a difference in the lives of our neighbors, and in turn our community as a whole
Support Care & Share Has Provided
From January 1 through July 31, 2010
, Care and Share’s programs have provided the following support to our community:
- 399 Emergency food deliveries were made
- Over 24,000 pounds of non-perishable and frozen food items were collected and distributed at our food pantry.
- $28,000 in emergency financial assistance was given for rent, utilities, medical expenses, fuel oil/propane.
- College scholarships, totaling, $15,000, were awarded to 6 students.
- Summer camperships, totaling $4,000, were awarded to 61 children and teenagers.
- Monthly vouchers, totaling $ 25,000 were provided to 22 families to assist with food, rent or fuel.
- We continued coordination with Stop & Shop and Starbucks of free daily bread deliveries to local families, senior citizens and other food distribution sites.
- Spring food baskets, including grocery gift vouchers, were provided to 98 families, with local churches providing assistance to 31 of these families.
- Holiday gift and/or food assistance was provided to 155 families with assistance from local schools, businesses, churchs and individual sponsors.
- Dozens of bicycles were refurbished and distributed.
- We continued coordination with United Way’s Project Warm-Up fuel assistance program and enrolled families in the program during the 2009-2010 heating season.
By the end of 2008 we estimate that we’ll have distributed in excess of 24,000 pounds of food, spent over $70,000 on client related programs and have provided assistance to 200 families (500+ individuals) with either food*, financial or holiday assistance.
*emergency food requests can be multiple times during the year.